Knowing the difference between a friend and a boyfriend is tremendously helpful if you’re trying to find the best way to navigate relationships you have with the opposite sex.
There are many different actions, behaviors, and emotional tells that can indicate the differences between a friend and a boyfriend.
Understanding how to differentiate between a platonic friend of the opposite sex and a man who is interested in being your boyfriend can also help you once you are ready to explore the dating scene on your own.
A friend is someone who is there for another without any romantic strings or long-term expectations.
When you are a friend to someone, you help them because you care about them and want the best for them.
While the same can be said for boyfriends and girlfriends, they also have more serious and romantic feelings about one another.
A boyfriend will want to show more affection and romantic attention to you as opposed to simply lending a helping hand as a friend when you are in a time of need.
There is no singular method of determining if someone is a platonic friend or if they are interested in more, as each relationship is extremely unique and individual.
However, if your guy friend is already committed to someone else and has never shown any signs or behaviors that indicate he is into you, he may be just a friend.
If your guy friend is uninterested in getting close physically or has always maintained a casual and comedic relationship with you, he may not be interested in anything more than friendship.
If he turns to you in a time of need and expresses his need for support when going through tough relationship troubles, he is more than likely content with being just a friend.
Will a friend of the opposite sex ever want to be a boyfriend?
Of course. This can happen with men or women, as it is not always easy to express your feelings about one another, especially if those feelings are romantic or sexual in nature.
It’s also not always easy to tell when a friend is interested in becoming more than just friends.
It’s not always easy to determine when someone wants to be more than a friend, as some people are shyer than others.
While some guys may be upfront and direct, others may send subtle clues, signals, and use body language to see if you have any interest in them.
If you have a guy friend who has been attempting to spend more time alone with you or has attempted to get a bit more physically intimate, he may be looking for more in your relationship.
When a guy is into you, you will likely be able to tell by the subtle hints that are dropped and the noticeable changes in his own behavior, especially when around you or when you’re in public.
Because every relationship is different, there will not likely be one action or behavior that lets you know he is into you and wants more out of your relationship.
Instead, there may be a few indicators that are helpful to determine if one of your guy friends is looking for something a bit more with you.
Some of the physical signs to watch for that indicate a guy may be into you romantically include:
- He attempts to touch you every chance he gets. This can mean simply brushing up against your side, brushing your arm, attempting to hold your hand, or even trying to give you closer and more intimate hugs than usual. A guy that is into a woman will do everything in his power to get closer to her physically.
- He will try to stand close to you whenever you are together, especially when you are spending time together in a public place. He may be protective of you when you are out in public in front of other men.
- He may put his arm around you when you are in the company of someone new or when he is feeling fiercely protective of you. He may also do this to attempt to get closer to you on a physical level.
Along with physical signs and body language indicators, your guy friend may also give you emotional signs that he is interested in you romantically, such as:
- Attempting to make plans with you as much as possible.
- Asking questions about your dating life as well as your romantic interests.
- Taking an interest in your personal hobbies and passions.
- Making eye contact when discussing romantic issues or when discussing hot topics.
- Showering you with compliments, attention, and flirtatious jokes to get your attention.
- Letting you know directly that he is interested in you romantically.
The right friend and boyfriend will likely offer the same over time, only a friend will not have romantic expectations of you.
This is helpful when you are looking for someone to talk to or to vent to without feeling the pressure to be romantic with someone.
A friend will simply want you to be there for them in the same way they are for you in return.
When you have a guy friend, he can help you to navigate tricky dating situations and awkward encounters without feeling ashamed or embarrassed.
A friend can help you to pick up the pieces when you are feeling down and low.
Having a friend instead of a romantic partner can offer an array of benefits, including:
- The ability to share secrets without feeling ashamed or embarrassed
- The ability to build lifelong memories without the fear of breaking up or going your separate ways due to your romantic relationship not working out
- No dealing with feelings of jealousy or extreme attachment
- Freedom to express how you feel about love, dating, and other relevant issues that you deal with in your everyday life
When you have a friend instead of a boyfriend, you can remove yourself from dramatic situations that may come with a romantic relationship.
Having a boyfriend is a way to fulfill your romantic desires and needs while also building a solid foundation and friendship with one another.
When you have a boyfriend, you may feel as if you have a partner in your journey of life, which can be helpful in building your career or creating the lifestyle of your dreams.
When you have a romantic partner that you can trust and rely on, you can also skip straight past the dating scene, allowing you to spend more time with those who love you and mean the most.
Having a boyfriend can help when you are feeling down and can also help you to get where you want to go in life much faster. Working together to achieve your goals as a single unit is a great way for you both to get where you want to be in life.
While it is nice to have reliable platonic friends that you can trust, turn to, and always count on, there are also benefits to having a romantic partner or boyfriend as well, such as:
- You will have someone to turn to in your time of need, especially when you are struggling or feeling down.
- You can build a life together by combining your work ethic, income, goals, and dreams.
- It is much easier to feel fulfilled on a romantic and sexual level once you are with a boyfriend or romantic partner that is genuinely compatible with you and your individual needs.
- It is possible to move forward in the next chapter of your life if you have plans to invest in a home or to start a family with your boyfriend/future husband.
- You can get to know someone on a deeply intimate and personal level that is different from platonic friendship and love. With romantic love, you can share all of your hopes, wishes, dreams, and fantasies while feeling accepted and loved in return.
This one is tricky. There is no right or wrong answer, as each relationship is different.
Falling in love with a friend is complicated, even if you believe your friend feels the same towards you.
Taking the next step in a platonic relationship into a romantic relationship has many risks.
However, if you have fallen in love with one of your friends, it can be difficult to ignore how you feel.
You will either need to come to terms with simply being platonic friends, or you will need to express how you feel to them directly.
Being direct and upfront can help you to overcome the anxieties you have regarding your feelings while also expressing yourself completely and honestly.
If you have many guy friends as a woman, you may find yourself developing a crush or falling for one of them from time to time.
It is normal to develop feelings for the gender you are sexually and emotionally attracted to, even if you do not intend to at first.
Over time, as you build friendships with the opposite sex, you will discover what type of men you are more likely to fall for and what type of men work better for you as platonic friends.
This can happen, and you should prepare for it ahead of time.
There is not always a clearcut way to determine if one of your guy friends is interested in being your boyfriend.
While there may be signs, they are not always foolproof, either.
If your friend does not want to be your boyfriend, it is best to take a step back and remain calm and non-reactive.
If you want to maintain your friendship, you will need to accept if your friend does not want to take your relationship to the next level by becoming your boyfriend.
While you may feel hurt or taken aback, it may be best to simply walk away from the relationship for a bit while you reevaluate your own feelings, emotions, and desires.